Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A busy pre-Canada Day day

This picutre was from last week while we were out for a walk.

Well these past few days haves been quite busy medically for Charlotte.
Monday 28th we had a 10:00 appointment scheduled in the clinic for blood tests, but Charlotte thought we should go in sooner. 6:00am she woke up like a baby dragon (fire and everything) she was mad and grumpy and would bite your head off if you looked at her wrong. By 7:00 we were coherent enough to realize she had a whopping fever so we got our things packed and headed over to the hospital early. We were the first ones through the door when they opened the clinic at 8:00-even before some of the nurses were ready, usually people don’t show up until 9:00. So we got her regular blood tests done and some extra sent away for bacterial cultures to learn more about her fever. Once we finally heard back about her blood counts they were low so she needed both a platelet and blood transfusion. So then she has to be cross matched for donor blood, that ordered... wait wait wait... gave her some Tylenol to bring down the fever a bit (it was 39degrees)... then the Benadryl (she had a reaction last time so now she gets bonus meds) and platelets takes about an hour to infuse and monitor her... then the blood goes in over three hours... two different broad spectrum antibiotics were started...she had not had much to drink the couple of days prior... so we gave she some saline fluids... By the time we were done everyone else had left (even some of the nurses) the cleaning lady had swept and mopped the floor, stripped and sanitized all the beds (there are 10 in clinic.) 6:00pm! ...I think we now hold the record for the longest time in clinic, 10 hours! Then finally we were admitted over to the main unit and here we have been since!
Her blood cultures have come back negative, which is great. That means that we have no idea what caused this fever but at least it’s not something bacterial that is in her blood stream. Her fever was actually on its way down by the next morning so we just have to stay healthy through the “monitoring period” and we should be discharged tomorrow.
There was a lot going on again today, but a lot more fun! We are gearing up for Canada Day. The Kinsmen were around with ice cream sandwiches and flags. A one man band was in (think real Dick Van Dyke style.) The hospital hosted a bingo game... Charlotte was sleeping but I played in her honour. Plus she got MORE blood today and her “day 14” chemo drug. Kids Cancer Care foundation puts on a pizza night every Wednesday so we got that treat too.
We also had sit down with Dr Lucy (our primary doctor) and were told about what to expect for our next three rounds of chemo. Oh it’s going to be a fun ride that’s for sure! But that story is for another day.
Enjoying a bike ride at the RMcD house, you cant see it but there is a sidecar with her teddy bear in it.

Rant for the day... A musician in the oncology ward at a hospital should not sing “You are my sunshine” Seriously!?! We have heard it two or three times now... sure we all think the title is cute but listen to the first verse...

The other night dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
But when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried.

And what about the last two lines of the chorus!!!???

You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

In the very wise words of Whinnie the Pooh
"Think, Think, Think."


  1. I am praying for your family.

  2. anne brogden8:03 PM

    Hi Allison and Rob,I am Aunt Dolly's daughter , Anne, in Kamloops. Our cousin Joan gave me your blog address and I have been following it very closely. I have been so inspired by what your family has been experiencing and of how brave you all are. I am loving the photos and am so thrilled to hear of the wonderful suppo...rt that you are getting from the RM House in Calgary. It is so great that it is there for you all. I think of you often and keep little Charlotte ( Mom's name too) inmy prayers each day. Lots of love and prayers, Anne