Friday, April 16, 2010

April 12th: Planned Surgery

Morning to all.

I will just send a quick update while Charlotte is resting on her daddies shoulder.

We had the MRI scan last night around 7:00, Charlotte needed to go under general anaesthesia to keep her still long enough. She came out of that screaming mad, but things were ok. The scan showed no growth and no changes. It showed very clearly where the tumour is, thankfully its right on the top of her brain, a very easy spot to get at. Unfortunately it goes quite deep. Fortunately it has a large cyst around most of it, this should make it easier to remove. In cranbrook we had the idea that it was about the size of a golf ball or bit bigger.... but its bigger than that.

As of last night our surgery was booked for tuesday morning at 8:00. Based on the CAT scan our doctor initially said that it could take 2 or more hours. We talked to the surgeon this morning, and he told us to expect more along the lines of a 4 to 6 hour surgery. This is a very long time for someone this little. She will need a blood transfusion. Since there is not time for Rob or I to supply blood please pray that a match is found easily.

Charlotte is quite a bit stiller today than she has been. There is talk about even bumping her surgery to today. Because it will be such a long one they are hesitant to start anything later than noon. We have been told not to let her eat or drink, just in case. We should know within the next hour. Please pray that whether today or tomorrow, the right decision will be made.

The Doctor gave us a few hypotheses of what type of tumour it is, he said it seems to be very slow growing. Most of the names he gave us have the term benign with them, it does not sound aggressive at any rate. Although the only way to know for sure will be to take samples once its out. But because it is so big we were told that they might not be able to get it all at once. She is so little that there is only so much her body can handle, a second surgery might be needed. Please pray that this will not be the case, it will be cleared out in one go.

We are believing in God for a total recovery, please keep us in your prayers especially today and tomorrow as we prepare for this surgery.

Love to all of you, Allison and Robert

Psalm 27:3,5,13-14
Though an army may encamp against me, My heart shall not fear; Though war may rise against me, In this I will be confident. For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock. I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD!

April 12... part 2
Just wanted to let you know, surgery is still on for tomorrow 8am.
This will be good as it will give Yolanda a chance to get up here and see her sister beforehand. Hopefully seeing Yolanda will perk Charlotte up a bit. She missed her so much yesterday, looking out the window and asking for her.

Thank you all so much for all the encouraging emails. Keep them comming.

April 12... part 3
Thank you all for you continued prayer and support.

They will start prepping her for surgery at 7:40.

If you read this tonight we would appreciate a prayer for a solid nights sleep for all of us. She was really riled up after her MRI last night and tired herself out... so she was quite drowsy and sleepy all day, I hope that this will not interfere with a good nights sleep. Please pray that she stays stable throughout the night as well, her little heart and all systems are strong.

Allison and Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment